Home Remedies for Palpitations – How to Stop Palpitations
Heart palpitations are an abnormality or irregularity in the heartbeat, characterized by a feeling like your heart is fluttering, or beating too slow or too fast. This can last from just a few seconds to as long as hours.Sudden, rapid heartbeat could be indication of a heart health problem.
Palpitations can be caused by:
- Amphetamines drugs
Here are some ways and home remedies that can control and stop palpitations.
- Valsalva Maneuver
This ancient technique can help restore a fast heartbeat to normal. It causes physical intervention that stimulates the 10th cranial nerve (vagus nerve). This in turn leads to slowing of the heart rate.
First, pinch your nose, close your mouth and then try to breathe out forcibly. This will accelerate your heart rate, and then slow down your heartbeat.
Note: If you have heart disease, do not use this remedy.
Coughing vigorously for a few minutes can help break the pattern of a palpitation. It causes pressure to build up in your chest, which puts your heart back into a normal rhythm.
This is not a preventive measure. Use this remedy only when you are having a palpitation.
- Deep Breathing
Deep breathing is one of the best ways to deal with heart palpitations. It helps ease anxiety as well as a panic attack and, in turn, helps normalize your heart rate. Deep breathing also helps relax the body and increase the oxygen supply to the brain.
- Sit comfortably in a cross-legged position.
- Take slow, deep breaths through your nose, allowing your belly to expand with each inhalation.
- Breathe out slowly through your mouth.
- Repeat for a few minutes until your heart rate slows down.
You can also regularly do yoga and meditation to prevent heart palpitations.
- Cold Water
Drinking a glass of cold water can help restore your normal heartbeat. It will also help reduce stress, anxiety and dizziness. Splashing cold water on your face or taking a cold shower, shocks your body and resets your normal heart rhythm.
5. Blackstrap Molasses
Blackstrap molasses is a simple solution to control palpitations. Being rich in potassium, iron, calcium and magnesium it helps prevent these deficiencies in the body that can cause palpitations. It is particularly good for treating anemia, one of the leading causes of heart palpitations.
- Stir 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses into 1 cup of water and drink it.
- Another option is to mix 2 teaspoons each of blackstrap molasses and apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water.
Follow either of these remedies once daily.
It has been discovered that taking a magnesium supplement stops heart palpitations. Its use can prevent the serious rhythm disturbances that often accompany heart attack. Take at least 300 mg of calcium citrate twice a day, along with 300 mg of magnesium citrate twice a day.
Another effective home remedy for heart palpitations is cinnamon. It contains numerous chemicals and nutrients, including manganese and potassium that are good for the heart. It helps improve blood flow to the heart, prevent excess buildup of low-density lipoproteins (LDL or ‘bad’ cholesterol) and reduce high blood pressure.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a glass of warm water and drink it.
- Alternatively, mix together 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon powder and honey and have it.
Follow either of these remedies once daily for a few days.
For heart palpitations due to panic attacks or anxiety, valerian is a good remedy, according to herbalists. The relaxing effect of valerian helps calm you and restore your normal heartbeat. In addition, it promotes sleep.
- Add 10 drops of valerian tincture to a glass of water and drink it for quick relief.
- You can also take valerian supplements for a few weeks as a preventive measure. Consult a doctor for the proper dosage and do not take this supplement for longer than a few weeks.
Note: This herb is not recommended for pregnant women.
9. Honey And Lemon
Honey is an excellent food for the heart as it is easily digested. One glass of water mixed with a tablespoon of honey and juice of half a lime, taken before bedtime is a very useful home cure for palpitation.