Do You Know How Many Mites Sleep In Your Bed? Learn How To Eliminate Them Permanently
Getting some sleep after an exhausting day is the best reward we can get. Mattresses are also a very important element for our quality of sleep. Their cleanliness is also essential. However, our place for sleeping can be invaded by millions of mites that cannot be seen by the naked eye. Dirty sheets combined with warmth is the ideal environment for their reproduction. They ca live up to 6 weeks and reproduce at the speed of the light.
Even dead, mites maintain their harmful power. Their remains and feces cause allergies when they are inhaled.
The only way to declare war is a deep cleaning and other tricks that we will tell you later.
Mites love soft, warm sheets. They feed on microparticles of skin, nails, and hair that we lose every day and every night and that is why the bed is like paradise for them.
A mattress can contain up to 2 million mites!
But in addition to beds, mites like chairs, armchairs, soft furniture as well as stuffed animal toys and carpets. Everything that constitutes a nest of dust, becomes the perfect home.
If mite allergens are found in a certain amount, they can be removed and come in contact with the skin and eyes.
They can cause nose irritation, throat irritation known as rhinitis or conjunctivitis. People who are predisposed to allergies can have the biggest risk: when in contact with mites they can develop asthma, wheezing, dry cough or even choking.
Let’s see some of these symptoms:
– Transparent nasal drip.
– Repeated sneezing.
– Nasal obstruction.
– Itchy nose or palate.
– Loss of smell
– Allergic conjunctivitis.
This set of symptoms is particularly destabilizing and disturbs the quality of life of affected people with psychological, social and professional repercussions.
– Sleep disorders (sleep difficulties, snoring).
– Irritability and mood swings.
– Concentration disorders in the school and professional environment.
– Sneezing, skin irritations, paleness, eczema.
How to fight mites?
Sodium bicarbonate is an ideal ally against mites for the following reasons.
– It’s tremendously effective! Laboratory studies have shown since 2001 that bicarbonate has already been used in powder or powder with water and has a proven efficacy against mites. Only 20 g of baking soda per square meter of the surface is enough to destroy the mites in less than two hours.
How to use bicarbonate to eliminate mites?
– For carpets and mattresses: Spray the baking powder evenly on the surfaces. The dose should be 20 g per square meter, that is, a little more than one tablespoon or four teaspoons of coffee.
–For a single bed, you will need around 35 g and for a double bed, 55 g.
Brush lightly to distribute the bicarbonate and make it penetrate the fibers of the fabrics. Leave on for at least 2 hours and, if possible, between 4 and 8. Aspirate and place the protective cover and sheets again on the mattress. The finer the bicarbonate, the better the efficiency. It acquires a baking of good quality, especially when it comes to cleaning bedding.
– For washing clothes: The bicarbonate is also very effective against mites when diluted in water. The best thing in these cases is to prepare what is called a saturated bicarbonate solution that consists of adding the powder to the warm water until it manages not to dissolve completely. Then, spray on the surface to be treated.
– In the vacuum cleaner: The collection bag of the vacuum cleaner is a mite’s paradise! Once the dust, the remains of the skin, the hair and the hair of the animals have been vacuumed, the mites continue to reproduce at high speed. The fact of vacuuming the bicarbonate with the treatment done in carpets or mattresses, will neutralize the activity inside the vacuum cleaner. That is to say, the bicarbonate aspirated can also be a remedy to eliminate the mites that remain in the bag of the vacuum cleaner.
Tips to combat mites and prevent them from reproducing.
- Be sure to keep your room clean
- Ventilate the rooms every day for at least 15 minutes
- Fogged windows and glass are a proof of high humidity: try to keep the humidity of the rooms normal, limit the heating between 18º and 20º
- Vacuum the mattress, the backs of the beds, under the beds, on the furniture covered with fabrics or upholstery and the cabinets.
- Cover the mattress and pillows with a zippered cover.
- Periodically wash the sheets, blankets, and bedspreads with hot water at 60º. Once a month, wash pillows and pillows and then dry them in the dryer.